Council Minutes for April 2008:
Persons in Attendence:
MSTP Council Meeting 4/8/2008
o Revisit went well.
o Question and answer session:
§ A lot of questions overlapped with the Med School Q&A
§ There were many questions about the new curriculum, and only one panelist new anything about the new curriculum.
§ Next year we may start with a set series of questions to start things off and get people thinking.
o Saturday they were with the MD students most of the day, then they were taken on a walking tour of the campus and Little Italy. Then the students were taken on a bus tour to see examples of where students were living.
· We are where we want to be with admissions.
· Shooting for about 13 incoming students. We have extended offers.
· Quite a few of the students seem to be very serious about coming here.
· Monday July 7th and Tuesday July 8th
· Two Workshops: Grant Writing and Ethics
o May reconsider the Bioethics Speaker at the summer retreat because Insoo Young will be talking at the Monthly Meeting.
· Matt proposes to replace the second workshop with IQ cases that people could work on in groups.
· Possibly could replace it with a team-building workshop.
o “Bringing the picnic back”
o This could be contiguous with lunch or right before dinner.
o For the First Years:
§ Maybe a breakfast before the retreat to meet each other.
§ Then an activity for the First Years to meet the Second Years.
o It might be better for them to meet each other the day before the retreat.
· Dinner speaker will be Richard Hanson
· Cliff needs to confirm with McGuire for the Grant Writing workshop
· Need to decide if there will be a second workshop or not
· Need to pick a second scientific speaker for the morning on Tuesday, July 8th
o Going to contact Palczewski
· Panels for transitioning to PhD and to Medical School
o Chris and Serendipity are working on the “Transition to PhD Phase”
o Still need to find people for the “Transition to Med Year Three”
§ Debarshi and Henry are going to email the rising Fourth Years
· The book drive that was previously set up did not work out, they were going to send our books to hospitals in Columbus.
· Speaker next week – Tuesday, April 15th at 4:30pm in the Rainbow Babies and Children's auditorium
· Farmarz Ismail-Beighi, Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology at UH
· Insoo Young is coming up next, this month late or early in May.
· That will be the last Monthly Meeting for the year.
Rep to GSS:
· Budget came out, the Senate had an extra $5000 this year.
· Elections were held.
· Preliminary results of the RTA vote were not released. Maritza does not think it will pass.
· The next big issue is to roll back $500 tech fee. PeopleSoft has been paid for, so the money is just being put into a slush fund.
- Strategic Planning Meeting will be tomorrow at Wolstein at 5:00.
- This will be a brainstorming session to figure out problems. There will be a future meeting to discuss solutions.
- Last council meeting will be in May.